Thursday, June 24, 2010

Gumming Ham & Bubbles

Hey, pretty girl! Here you can see her eyes pretty well.


And here she is stalking a Corgi puppy.


This is Cate, the Corgi puppy. She is visiting for a few days. She likes to bark. And squeak.


This is Rowan before things got crazy with the Boomer ball. This is about as calm as it gets outside.


They are looking at me, expecting me to get the ball out for them. Not gonna happen. They go crazy after that stupid thing!


But, of course, Rowan takes matters into his own paws and gets it out himself. This is the routine. Shortly after this, Kai will (no doubt) take it from Rowan and hog it to himself while Ro stares after him with swirly crazy border collie eyeballs.


And, indeed, this is what happened.


Oh, and there's the Bean! With her beloved frisbee.


Finally, Rowan got a go at the ball. This is his happy Boomer ball face.


And here's Leelah's favorite way to run these days...


Full of grace, that one.


Oh yeah, I see ballet in the future. Or maybe so you think you can dance auditions...


Here she is, elegantly watching the Boomer ball fiasco. You can also get an idea of how tall she is these days, sitting next to the chair. Oh, and what's up with that GUT? My god, you'd think she lived on a diet of beer!


On other fronts...

She is in full teething mode! She has lost all of the little baby teeth in front (still has her baby canines) and is a crooked smiling gawky little creature!

And... she's 20 pounds! I'm sure her siblings are at least 30 by now, but without them by her side, she seems so big! She's all legs and polka dots. She is getting waves in her fur, the brown fur is much less fuzzy and the long white hairs are disappearing. Her ears are still up although each day one or the other tips down for a bit and when she runs they flop all over the place so who knows what will happen with that.

She's definitely getting to the point of starting to switch from the dewy attitude of puppyhood into the environmentally aware (and cautious) attitude of early adolescence. She notices things like it's the first time even though they've been there forever, she has decided trucks driving by are utterly terrifying (while on a walk) and so on. At the same time, she has a lovely new cocky side full of her typical piss-n-vinegar PLUS a little extra sassiness :)

We graduated puppy kindergarten and are planning on joining a second round. I really want to keep her interacting with young dogs. She is still super soft with confident dogs and a bit too pushy/bitchy with timid dogs. I haven't given her much practice time with being bitchy but since I've seen it, I want to do what I can to safeguard against it being a habit. She also gets very guardy with other dogs if they give her the option. I have a Corgi pup staying with me for a few days. Today she was eating her breakfast in her ex-pen and Leelah Bean (who had finished breakfast) went up to the ex-pen, sat in front of the food bowl and started growling at the Corgi. Nice! Well, it goes without saying I didn't let THAT continue. This has been a habit for her (but only with pups or dogs that allow her to do it... if a dog tells her to f*** off she is a perfect angel). So we do lots of exercises where she gets treats for sharing... and lots of practice with Leave It and Come so that if she's being a wench I can call her away from whatever it is. She's not guardy at all with people.

It's awesome watching her grow up. She's pretty amazing and I love her bunches. Kai and Rowan don't exactly *love* her but they are tolerating her pretty well these days.

So, that's the latest from Leelah land!

No comments: